Re: growisofs writes unreadable dvd+rw

Hi,

> First: try to write and mount a cd
> Everything is ok, except I still have strange messages in log:
>  kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
>  kernel: hdc: irq timeout: error=0x00
>  kernel: hdc: DMA disabled
>  kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete

Looks clearly ill. Since you now got these
messages with completely different media and
writer software, only the kernel and the burner
hardware remain on the list of suspects.

That matches my general experience from giving
support for my own backup program. Besides my own
bugs and flaws i have to help with growisofs and
cdrecord refusing to work properly. That's not
so much the fault of those programs but a general
problem with writing DVD (at least under various
Linux versions).

DVD have to be mistrusted until they have been
checkread entirely. Even a good burner and media
brands which used to work can fail suddenly and
silently.

PS: I vote for afio when it comes to sequential
    archive formats.