Re: growisofs writes unreadable dvd+rw

> Another info I grabbed from /var/log/messages tells:
>
> kernel: hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x30
> kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
> kernel: isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
>
> Is it normal to get a DriveReady SeekComplete Error with a dvd ?

No.  This is a problem.  bread() is failing preventing the super block
from being propagated up to the iso9660 file system.  I do not know
all the details here, but from practical experience either the burn
failed or using /dev/hdc isn't going to work for you.  Can you read
_any_ iso9660 file system using /dev/hdc?

If the burn is ok, you might try using the scsi emulation by booting
with append="hdc=ide-scsi" (or maybe just hdc=ide-scsi).  I've had one
system where making the switch to /dev/scd0 in this way worked
wonders.

I am by no means an expert on what is going on in the linux kernel for
/dev/hdc vis-a-vis the scsi emulation layer, but I get the impression
that both /dev/hdc and the scsi emulation have their problems.  Joerg
is probably the best person to ask, but I think he's washed his hands
of it all.

Paul