Re: mini-dvd

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
Two questions really.  Is it possible to burn to a mini-dvd, the
kind that go into a handycam camera? Things things are marked dvd-r/30 min/1.4 gb.

I haven't tried, but with mini CD-R the only difference to CD-R is
that the capacity is lower. The last lot of business card-sized mini
CD-R I got were obviously just cut-down normal CD-R, as the ATIP info
recorded on them still said 650MB... There should be no difference
for mini DVD-R either. The laser runs out of burnable surface
earlier, that's about it.

It does work, just tried it.

<snip>

I'm thinking it'd be kinda neat to burn a full gnoppix cd to a mini
dvd.

Good idea, though consider that if you're doing it for maximum compatibility with any other computer you might come across, you will then need a dvdrom drive, and a drive which can read mini (do they all?).

Most newer boxes these days do. I just bought a pretty low end laptop and it has one. Anyway, I did successfully burn a cd iso of gnoppix to this mini dvd-r and my laptop booted off it fine.

--
Until later, Geoffrey