Re: mini-dvd

> Two questions really.  Is it possible to burn to a mini-dvd, the kind
> that go into a handycam camera?  Things things are marked
> dvd-r/30 min/1.4 gb.

I haven't tried, but with mini CD-R the only difference to CD-R is that
the capacity is lower. The last lot of business card-sized mini CD-R I
got were obviously just cut-down normal CD-R, as the ATIP info recorded
on them still said 650MB... There should be no difference for mini DVD-R
either. The laser runs out of burnable surface earlier, that's about it.

> Can you burn a cd iso to a dvd?

Yes.

>  That is, is there any difference in the
> format?

No. Both simply are block devices, like your hard disk. However, unlike
your harddisk, random read/write access isn't quite as good or fast.

> I'm thinking it'd be kinda neat to burn a full gnoppix cd to a
> mini dvd.

Good idea, though consider that if you're doing it for maximum
compatibility with any other computer you might come across, you will
then need a dvdrom drive, and a drive which can read mini (do they
all?).

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.