Re: Re: Re: dvd rw-tools question

> > I haven't tried that yet. What I just noticed is that the
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI was not enabled in the kernel :-(
>
> Arrgh, all those people who think they need to recompile kernels...
>
> You should *ALWAYS* start from the kernel provided by your distro. Then,
> if you really need to make mods, only change those settings in the
> kernel config. There are very few good reasons for compiling kernels
> these days (unless your distro sucks).

The thing is that this machine was set up over three years ego, i.e. not
these days :-) Back then I did have to recompile the kernel to get
the sound working, support USB devices, etc. So naturally, I just kept
recycling the config from 2.2 days...

Which does not make me less of an idiot for overlooking the IDE chipset
support.

Thanks again for your help, things are working great now!

My apologies for a false alarm,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://ebner.neuroscience.umn.edu/people/alex.html
Dept. of Neuroscience, Lions Research Building