Re: Problem with Pioneer DVR-A07XLA Drive

The version is growisofs 5.20 and dvd+rw-format is 4.10.
When formatting brand-new media, dvd+rw-format simply displays this:

* DVD+RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se <mailto:appro@fy.chalmers.se>>, version 4.10.
* 4.7GB DVD+RW media detected.
* formatting /

It never shows a percentage, and the drive light never comes on. It just runs forever.

when attempting to growisofs on a blank media, I get

Executing 'builtin_dd if=/var/backup/hosts/Amaranth/backup.udf of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/hdc: pre-formatting blank DVD+RW...
:-[ TEST UNIT READY failed with SK=2h/ASC=04h/ACQ=04h]: Resource temporarily unavailable

The last message happens repeatedly until Ctrl-C

All this is nothing but odd... You mentioned it's some unstable Debian vintage. What does it mean in terms of kernel version? Do you have an option to test it under another kernel, perferably "vanialla" one?

Also do following:

- download and unpack source code;
- open transport.hxx with text editor and locate line which reads as #define DUMP_EVENTS 0
- chanage it to #define DUMP_EVENT 1 and compile;
- run the above commands from the source directory;

I also wonder if you could strace dvd+rw-format? E.g. strace -o /tmp/dvd+rw-format.strace dvd+rw-format .... In order to save public bandwidth, submit outputs to me personally. A.