Re: Backup thousands of files 1 at a time with growisofs?

Dear Folks,

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:12:10AM -0400, Rob Bogus wrote:
> Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
>
> >>I would particularly like to have my music uncompressed, untarred so I
> >>can just put the dvd into a machine and play them.
> >>

> >This would require each disk to have an in itself complete iso fs with a
> >subset of the files. Each disk may be slightly underfull.

> >Brilliant piece of software by the looks of it. Thanks for the URL!
> >Check whether it creates disks with a complete filesystem, or whether it
> >creates one huge filesystem with a piece of the filesystem on each disk.
> >In the latter case individual disks wouldn't be accessible.
> >
> >Alternatively, you could hack up some script which reads through your
> >music directory, sizing up as many files as fit on one disk, burn that
> >disk, and then proceed with the next file in the directory.

> I have a generalized perl script which reads a file in size-name format,
> and generates output file(s) of items which will fit on a single media.
> The size of a media and the per-item overhead are command line
> parameters. This isn't limited to files, I use "du -S" to generate
> backups with all of a single directory on a single media. It also tries
> to equalize the content on each media, so you don't get a bunch of full
> media ending with one having virtually nothing. That's just my
> preference, it could be optional (and may be, I don't have the code in
> front of me).
>
> I originally wrote it in awk a few decades ago when I run a UNIX BBS and
> backed up my 20MB hard drive to 400k floppies. World changed, problems
> unchanged, backup media is still too small.

Great!   My next question is, "where can I get it?"

By the way, I have just written a Perl program designed to make
pathlists for use with --graft-points.

It is not ready for prime time yet; I am still writing it, but my
effort so far is at
http://ictlab.tyict.vtc.edu.hk/ftp/tarball/make-path-lists.pl
and is licensed GPL.

I will inform the list when I have tested it more thoroughly (i.e.,
after sucessfully backing up and verifying 100MB or so).

> >In either case you have no control over which file goes on which disk,
> >i.e. it'll be somehwat random.
> >

> Yes, that's a problem. And the processing time needed to get a really
> perfect packing can be great if the data just fit on N media (or just
> don't quite fit).

Yes: I will write a question about that to the list now.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE                               nicku(at)vtc.edu.hk
Proud member of the Dept. of Information & Communications Technology,