Re: Backup thousands of files 1 at a time with growisofs?

Dear Nick,

> mkisofs: Error: '2000_02_28/vh40.png' and '2000_02_26/vh40.png' have
> the same Rock Ridge name 'vh40.png'.

As the message says, you suffer from name collisions.

> Aha, it seems that I should use the --graft-points

Yes. That is a way to solve collisions.
  mkisofs ... -graft-points /target_address=/source_address \
                            /target_dir/=/source_dir ...

I am watching your efforts since yesterday and now i believe
that you found enough reasons to give scdbackup a try :
- Multi volume,
- independent ISO file systems on each media,
  single files accessible on Win, Mac too
  (alternatively you can get afio archives)
- collison test and automatic remedy (via graft points)
- (manual grafting too)

Be invited to have a look at :
http://scdbackup.webfram.org
http://scdbackup.webfram.org/examples.html

Post eventual support requests here or send them directly
to scdbackup@gmx.net .

PS : shunt seems not to create openly accessible ISO filesystem
structures but to part the data stream of an archiver into
digestible pieces. Those pieces seem to be stored in an ISO
filesystem. After mounting such a media, you will see the
pieces of the archiver's output, not the single files like
they are on your disk.
Quote from http://www.serice.net/shunt/
" Backup utilities that are capable of handling multi-volume archives have
 to directly control the opening, reading or writing, and closing of the
 underlying device. Apparently, this is not supported by the current
 generation of device drivers for CDs and DVDs."
That means it is a kind of userland substitute for Andy Polyakov's
DVD kernel patch. (Is it still valid, that patch ?)
Nevertheless it does not write the raw data stream to the media as
a tape device would do.

scdbackup_afio is nearer to the tape model. With all advantages and
disadvantages.