Re: Wishes and observations with growisofs-5.19

A wish about final reloading :

Is there a possibility to have growisofs not reloading the media
but only ejecting it after the burn job is done.

There is a reason why software is called *soft*ware, isn't there? It's "soft," because it can be modified to suit our needs.

I understand
that ejecting is necessary to discard invalid buffers. Is it
necessary to put it in again ?

Well, question is what would most users expect. I bet most users would prefer that it wouldn't get reloaded at all and have media available for mount or verification instantly upon growisofs exit. Meaning that "in" is actually more expected and that's what it is all about: "what most people expect."

I want to have it stick out at the end.

Like -use-the-force-luke=noload or similar?

If i run  eject /dev/sr0  after growisofs then the mechanical
behavior looks somewhat erratic : out - in - out

Then don't look at it:-):-):-) Just kidding... But I would argue that it's "erratic." "Technology abusive," yes, but not "erratic." If we ought to find an "error" to blaim on, then I'd argue that it would be kernel, as re-load shouldn't be required to invalidate block cache...

A question about setting an end of file mark with reused DVD+RW :

Is there a chance with contemporary DVD-ROM drivers (at least
of Linux) to make them stop sequential reading at the end of the
data which were written during the most recent "single session" burn job ? I.e. can growisofs talk them into such a stop ?

No. That's the way DVD+RW is. Lead-out moves one way, toward the outer edge. You can 'dvd+rw-format -force /dev/dvd' prior every recording to reset the format status and lead-out position, but you'll be wearing out lead-in area. My personal recommentation to use some other way to identify end of every particular recording. E.g. for ISO9660 volumes generated with mkisofs you can reliably use volume size value from volume descriptor.

A slightely misleading message of dvd+rw-format :

Understanding that it would probably not be what i look for,
i tried anyway
  dvd+rw-format -lead-out /dev/sr0
and got * DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.7.
  :-[ Unit won't start: 23A00 ]
- [mounted media doesn't appear to be DVD±RW] The tray with the DVD+RW media simply wasn't loaded. Maybe one should
point to that possibility besides the one of having wrong media.

This was fixed in dvd+rw-format 4.8.

A minor bug in the speed report of growisofs 5.19-1 (downloaded june 13):

I made growisofs tell me this :

2470510592/4700372992 (52.6%) @3.9x, remaining 6:42
2542796800/4700372992 (54.1%) @15.3x, remaining 6:29
2561310720/4700372992 (54.5%) @3.9x, remaining 6:25

I simply blocked terminal output with Ctrl S, waited a few seconds
watching the DVD writer's blinking, then released output by Ctrl Q
and the next speed measurement was "15.3x".

There always were and always will be ways to trick any particular program to produce confusing output. I'll see what can be done, but don't hold your breath:-) A.