Re: 100% system CPU usage with cdrecord

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> The only kind of odd thing I'm doing is using the ATA support in
> cdrecord to talk to the burner rather than SCSI emulation (I was having
> problems getting that going...apparently I don't yet fully understand
> the interaction of the new libata and the "hda=scsi" kernel command line
> parameter), but trolling the mailing list seems to indicates this should
> be faster than the older scsi emulation.  The actual cdrecord command
> I'm using:
>
> cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 driveropts=burnfree speed=48 -dao -v image.iso

I *strongly* suggest using ide-scsi with 2.4 kernels. You want to boot
with something like "hdc=ide-scsi" I believe, that what I use for all my
working 2.4 systems. The device will probably be 0.0.0, but do check by
looking at /proc/scsi/scsi to be sure.

I have not had any problems with ide-scsi under 2.6 kernels since 2.6.2 or
so, but the ATAPI interface is much easier on the CPU for audio burn.