Re: growisofs vs. LG GSA4040B: unable to CLOSE SESSION (5h/72h/03h):Input/output error

| From: Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>

| >     /dev/scd0: closing session
| >     :-( unable to CLOSE SESSION (5h/72h/03h): Input/output error

| This error appears *only* in simulated mode and it does not mean that
| real recording will fail with same error. In other words failure to
| close the session is *limitation of simulated mode* and should be
| disregarded. Purpose of simulated test is rather to see if your system
| sustains the load.

Thanks for the explanation!

Is this documented anywhere?

Is this a forgivable flaw in the drive or is this an expected/legal
result on a standards-conforming drive?

If it is an expected/legal result, some part of the software ought to stop
scaring innocent users with drastic-sounding messages :-)

I find the undocumented growisofs -use-the-force-luke flag intriguing.
Is there a reason not to document it?

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh@mimosa.com  voice: +1 416 482-8253