Re: Problem using a TEAC DV-W22E with dvd+rw-tools/cdrecord-prodvd/dvdrtools.

>>>most likely means that your media is poorly supported by your firmware.
>>>Then "3/11/05 L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" doesn't make much sense
>>>either... What media is it anyway (see dvd+rw-mediainfo output for Media
>>>ID)? Poor media support manifests itself in most bizarre ways. There
>>>were reports that DVD-RW media acts as write-once, -twice or three
>>>times. In other workds I'd really recommend to test other media brands,
>>>preferably explicitly recommended by unit manufacturer, before drawing
>>>final conclusions. A.

>> Ok. The media I bought are as follow:
>>  - TDK DVD-RW single-sided Data/Video 4.7GB 1-2x;
>>  - TDK DVD-R  single-sided Data/Video 4.7GB 1-4x.
>>
>> Is there anything wrong whith these types of media?

> Note that I didn't questioned media quality per se [just yet], but this
> media support by your firmware. New media products are being introduced
> to market all the time, some might *require* firmware update...

Ok, I understand very well.

>> Advices?

> I still stand by "test other media brands before drawing final
> conclusions."

Ok, I'll test another media tomorrow or the day following tomorrow and
will report the result to the list.

>> Here are some informations about the report from "dvd+rw-mediainfo".
>>
>> 1/ Two new DVD-RW I tried to blank and which are now _not_usable_ says:
>>  /* First one */
>>   Mounted Media:         14h, DVD-RW Sequential

>      no Media ID?

No Media ID.

>>  :-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/ASC=11h/ACQ=05h]:
>>  /* Second one */
>>   Mounted Media:         14h, DVD-RW Sequential
>>   Media ID:               TTG01
>>  :-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/ASC=11h/ACQ=05h]:

> It's first time I observe READ TRACK INFORMATION failing and it's first
> time I observe 3/11/05 code. TRACK INFORMATION is vital and
> correspodning command is expected to work and so far was observed to
> work under *any* circumstances. Failure most likely indicate that PMA,
> Program Memory Area, is busted. Is it possible that it happened because
> firmware picked inappropriate laser power for this media? Yes, it's
> plausible. Note that laser power is purely firmware domain and is beyond
> OS or application software control...

Keep in mind that these 2 media are in these _states_ because I try to
blank them with software:
 - one with "dvd+rw-format -blank=full /dev/cd0";
 - the other using "./cdrecord-wrapper.sh -v -blank=all dev=3,0,0".

>> 2/ A new DVD-RW I *never* used says:
>>   Mounted Media:         14h, DVD-RW Sequential
>>   Media ID:              TDK502sakuM3

> Are these disks come from same pack? If you can confirm that they come
> from same pack, then I don't know what to think. Media ID is not
> supposed to change as result of recording...

Yes, I buy 2 packs TDK: one contained 5 DVD-R, the other 5 DVD-RW. So,
I can confirm... :(

> As for Media ID not being reported for finalized DVD-R. Note that unit
> reported it as DVD-ROM (see "Mounted Media"). Apparently
> dvd+rw-mediainfo doesn't pull Media ID in such case (looks like bug,
> I'll look into it). A.

Ok, thanks,
--
-jpeg.