Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:28:03AM -0500, Thomas J. Magliery, Ph.D. wrote:
> Well, I've played with this for way more than an hour already.  Why not?
> The folks at linux-usb-devel (i.e., Alan Stern) also want me to recompile my
> linux kernel with usb-storage debugging on.  So this could take a couple of
> days.
>
> Question about installation: I current have /boot, root, /home and swap
> partitions on my drive.  The /home partition is very large, and I could make
> room for Solaris there.  I see that Partition Magic 8 supports ext3 volumes
> (I have PM8).  Do you know if this works?  Can I resize the /home partition
> with PM8?  Or is there a better way to do this under Linux?

I have used PM7 to resize ext2 in the past very succesfully, so I see no
reason PM8 should not handle ext3 equally well.  Of course backups of
important data is always recomended, but I haven't seen it fail yet. :)

> I take it you're recommending that I start with CD 1 and leave myself a
> single 3+GB partition?

I think primary 3GB partition was the request.S

Len Sorensen