Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

>From: Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>

>> Does
>> this answer mean that cdrecord fundamentally checks some data that is always
>> going to give me an error,

>Let me re-phrase. Growisofs pulls DISC INFORMATION (that's what the
>command 0x51 in question does) in a way different from cdrecord, which I
>believe is/offer as the explanation for why it doesn't get stuck on it.
>Does it mean that either program does something *fundamentally* wrong?
>No! Different doesn't mean wrong.

>> I guess the other question is: what is passing the error on to cdrecord?
>> The drive? A module that controls USB or SCSI emulation or what?

>If you're interested in my viewpoint, then I'd say that it appears as if
>USB transport fails to handle something unit should have never sent
>(0x22 is a invalid length accoring to MMC, which explicitly says it
>should be 32+8*n, as already mentioned). Plextor might be able to fix
>it, USB people might be able to fix it. Will you have hard time
>convincing either side? Most likely...

Well, I just send a report to Plextor..... they already fix several bugs
in the 708 after I did send a report.

The *big* question is: Is the Linux USB implementation Soooooo flaky,
that it chokes completely in case the drive returns less data than
requested?

As I currently have my 708 in a Linux box and Linux does not return
a DMA residual count :-(, I would need to mount the 708 into a Solaris
box or wait for the reply from Plextor....

So far, I cannot yet tell whether the drive returns the number of bytes
it promises. If _this_ is the problem with the Linux USB implementation,
then this is just another bad news for Linux.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Thomas:

	Would you be willing to do a test with Solaris?

Get the Solaris CD images from:
	http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/get.html#x86

for free... installation is simple and takes less than one hour.

If you start with CD 1 of 2, you need one free primary partition with at least
3 GB of free space

If you  start with the "Installation CD", you need two primary partitions.

>> Does this mean that growisofs always does check the SCSI status byte?

>Well, under Linux kernel 2.4 growisofs counts on sr_mod to check the
>status byte. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that sr_mod
>doesn't do the job, because if it didn't, growisofs would hardly work at
>all, not even with IDE units. Under 2.6 growisofs checks the status byte
>all by itself. A.

So, as the problem occurs on Linux-2.4, I would asume that the SCSI status
byte is not checked when using growisofs....

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling