Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

> >> that cdrecord-ProDVD
>
> >This is commercial binary-only software.
>
> Looks like you confuse binary with commercial.

I believe it's being sold, which makes it commercial. (Note I never
criticized this.) I assume you're not refuting the binary-only.

> >DVDs. Not quite accurate, but it goes along those lines. Plus vendors
> >aren't allowed to ship -prodvd I believe.
>
> Well, they would need to contact me. This is usual behavior....

For good reasons Linux vendors avoid binary-only whenever they can,
especially when it contains a timebomb which goes off well before the
end of the distro's expected life time. They have to expect to pay
money for it, which from their point is undesirable, understandably. If
you really wanted distros to include -prodvd, you'd allow this in the
license. I don't recall there being an explicit licence document
somewhere. This all translates to a waste of time for vendors, so it
seems they don't bother in the first place. Understandably.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.