Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Cdrtools-2.01a25: Patch to make cdrtools 2.01a25 Linux compatible

Hi,

> But how is the vendor supposed to know that GNU libc6 requires the
> files to be oriented according to the FHS? That should be in the
> glibc docs, period.

Who said glibc requires the files be arranged a certain way according
to FHS? The original statement I responded to a few posts ago was:

GW>> In a modern GNU/Linux distribution, /usr/include/linux should
GW>> *not* be a symlink to anything at all.

If glibc really requires things a certain way, that's not a very
flexible package. I don't think we proved that yet (though I admittedly
follow the threads loosely).

The distribution vendors know what to do because they have a person or
team which subscribe to the Standards orgs and go over the guideline
docs for changes which conflict with their current way of doing things.

Looking at the membership list of the Free Standards Group (which
promotes LSB and FHS), you'll see both RedHat and SuSE (among others)
are Gold members. You typically don't invest to become a Gold member of
some organization unless you're serious about it. Consider that their
recent distributions have been LSB certified...so obviously they found
out somewhere sometime how things are supposed to be laid out. Indeed,
the /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm on my RedHat AS/ES/WS 3.0
machines are actual directories and not symlinks as used to be done in
the Good Ol' Days.

It would be nice for glibc to give a Release Note about the change in
the symlinks, but to say it *must* be there relies on three things: 1)
that the Standard came out before the glibc package was released. 2)
that the chosen Standard is The One and Only Standard that doesn't ever
compete with some alternate FooStandard 3) that glibc is a linux-only
package and has some specific tie to Linux kernel headers

My intent in mentioning LSB/FHS in my first post was to not really
take any side of this particular argument, but to point out that they
exist to attempt to bring some order to the chaos that's been Linux
distribution layouts. Once that order is adopted by the big fish in the
Linux world, any workarounds cdrtools or others have employed should be
unnecessary.

I don't agree or disagree what's the proper way to do things, but I do
take exception to some commonly seen viewpoints on this mailing list
that Linux will forever remain an unorderly pile of goo compared to say,
oh, Solaris.

-Robert