Re: dvd+rw-tools: growisofs exit code

> My immediate interest is getting reliable backups by retrying
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> automatically even with bad media.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.

Dunno why you observe that recordings sometimes fail on good media. My
guess would be that either the media wasn't so good afterall, or the
burner doesn't quite adjust properly to that particular media. With a
Pioneer 106 I've never observed a failed burn due to media issues (I
mostly use Verbatim).

If you want to make sure data was backed up reliably, sorry rephrase:
data was reliably backed up, an md5 sum of the image you wrote would be
the only useful way. It might be tricky with incremental backups, and
you'd have to create the iso image to disk first. Using md5s on the
files would work too, but is considerably slower (reading the dvd).
You'll find scripts for all this in the scriptutils package on my
website.

>  Media ID:              PRINCO

Here's your answer: with this abominable crap I wouldn't expect any
results which contain the word "reliable" by any stretch of the
imgination.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.