Re: DVD-video imaging

   # dvdbackup -M -i/dev/dvd -o/temp/DVD/
   # growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video /temp/DVD/TITLE/

And that's it... growisofs executes this command with no complaints,
and the result should be a DVD-video. But when I try to play it on
the computer I get the message that dvdcss can't open /dev/dvd (?),
and my home DVD deck, a Panasonic that claims to support DVD-R, does
not recognize it.

If dvd+rw-medianfo output is sane and you can mount the media under Linux by means of mount command, then it's most likely malformed DVD-Video layout. If dvd+rw-mediainfo output is insane, then it's most likely media problem and you should try another media brand. Reducing recording velocity might help as well. A.