Re: DVD-video imaging

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 10:29:03PM -0400, Peter King wrote:

> I just got a Plextor 712A, which has gotten good reviews from
> Linux users for compatibility. I flashed the firmware to the
> latest available version, 1.04. It reliably and readily will
> read CDR, CDRW, DVD-video, DVD-R, DVD+R. (It should read the
> rewriteable DVDs too but I don't have any to test yet.) And it
> will write data DVD-R and DVD+R with growisofs, though not, I
> should note, with dvdrecord -- which returns a SCSI error at the
> first write command, as does cdrecord-prodvd.
>
> What I somehow can't do -- why not? -- is to write a readable
> DVD-video. It might not be the fault of the Plextor, though.
> Here's what I've done:
>
> 1. Run dvdbackup on a DVD-video, which creates a "mirror image"
>    of the structure on the DVD. The command:
>
>    # dvdbackup -M -i/dev/dvd -o/temp/DVD/
>
>    This creates a structure under the name of the DVD -- say,
>    TITLE, a directory that contains VIDEO_TS which itself
>    contains the actual .VOB files and so on.

like this, right?

/tmp/DVD/TITLE/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.{BUP,IFO,VOB}

you should try to use xine or ogle to "play the dvd" off the drive to
make sure the data is correct.

> 2. Run growisofs on the ripped image, preserving the structure
>    of the files (and the capitalization):
>
>    # growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video /temp/DVD/TITLE/
>
>    Here the option "-dvd-video" is passed to mkisofs to get the
>    files in the right order for writing, and "-dvd-compat" gives
>    compatibility with commercial DVD-video formats; the "-Z" means
>    to burn the first session on the blank DVD-/+R.
>
> And that's it... growisofs executes this command with no complaints,
> and the result should be a DVD-video. But when I try to play it on
> the computer I get the message that dvdcss can't open /dev/dvd (?),
> and my home DVD deck, a Panasonic that claims to support DVD-R, does
> not recognize it.
>
> Any ideas, suggestions, advice?

making an image with
mkisofs -dvd-video -o dvd.iso /tmp/DVD/TTILE
then using
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=dvd.iso
for burning to disc has worked for me in the past with dvdbackup output,
but I guess that's pretty much what you're doing here.

--
<jakemsr@jakemsr.com>