Re: Testers for OpenBSD & NetBSD needed

Jacob Meuser <jakemsr@jakemsr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 05:45:53PM +0200, Frederick Page wrote:

> > I noticed, there is no more downgrading of DMA mode. I did some more
> > tests, rebooted some more and to me it looks like this:
> >
> > - cdda2wav only works with suid and drive in PIO-mode.
> >
> > - With suid the kernel does not downgrade DMA.
>
> what are the permissions on /dev/rcd0c ?  this is very strange
> behaviour.  do you have these issues _only_ with cdda2wav?

For me it looks unbelievable too.

> > Please let me know, if I can be of further assistance.
>
> What is your IDE controller?  Could you send me a dmesg (to me, I
> don't know if the rest of the list is really that interested in it)?
> I still think this is specific to your hardware, as I do not see
> the problems you describe.  It may very well be a bug in pciide
> that affects your hardware, or a number of other things.

I've seen a similar problem (timeout on odd transfer count)
on SCO UnixWare and it could be tracked down to a driver bug.

As Frederick only has problems with a SCSI commands that needs an
odd transfer count _and_ the result is the same (timeout) it is
very improbable that there is a different cause.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling