Re: Testers for OpenBSD & NetBSD needed

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 05:45:53PM +0200, Frederick Page wrote:
> Hi Joerg,

> Then after suid'ing cdda2wav, it worked on any audio-CD, regardless of
> the number of tracks, it also worked as root and as fpage.
>
> >Did you do a cold start of the machine to make sure that there is DMA
> >again?
>
> No, just done that and it does not work anymore, neither as root, nor
> as fpage, did several reboots, tried different CDs with odd and even
> numbers of tracks: nothing helped.
>
> Since suid'ing cdda2wav the OpenBSD kernel-messages changed (a
> little):
>
> Aug 20 17:23:55 thebetteros /bsd: cd0(pciide0:1:0): timeout
> Aug 20 17:23:55 thebetteros /bsd:       type: atapi
> Aug 20 17:23:55 thebetteros /bsd:       c_bcount: 1181
> Aug 20 17:23:55 thebetteros /bsd:       c_skip: 0
> Aug 20 17:23:56 thebetteros /bsd: pciide0:1: bogus intr
>
> I noticed, there is no more downgrading of DMA mode. I did some more
> tests, rebooted some more and to me it looks like this:
>
> - cdda2wav only works with suid and drive in PIO-mode.
>
> - With suid the kernel does not downgrade DMA.

what are the permissions on /dev/rcd0c ?  this is very strange
behaviour.  do you have these issues _only_ with cdda2wav?

> So after a reboot I have to do the following: de-suid cdda2wav, call
> it as root, get timeout (kernel downgrades DMA-mode of drive). Then
> re-suid cdda2wav, now it works with fpage and root and
> even-/odd-numbered tracks until the next reboot :-(
>
> It does not bother me very much, since I got several machines and
> use the OpenBSD machine for DVD-writing, but I would really be
> pissed, if OpenBSD was my only client ;-)
>
> >It may be thye the PIO implementation does odd byte transfers
> >correctly....
>
> Sure looks that way. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed at
> OpenBSD, I just quit Linux for exactly those reasons (kernel-bugs).
>
> Please let me know, if I can be of further assistance.

What is your IDE controller?  Could you send me a dmesg (to me, I
don't know if the rest of the list is really that interested in it)?
I still think this is specific to your hardware, as I do not see
the problems you describe.  It may very well be a bug in pciide
that affects your hardware, or a number of other things.

--
<jakemsr@jakemsr.com>