Re: Testers for OpenBSD & NetBSD needed

Hi Joerg,

Joerg Schilling wrote on Fri, Aug 20 2004:

> [...]

Then after suid'ing cdda2wav, it worked on any audio-CD, regardless of
the number of tracks, it also worked as root and as fpage.

>Did you do a cold start of the machine to make sure that there is DMA
>again?

No, just done that and it does not work anymore, neither as root, nor
as fpage, did several reboots, tried different CDs with odd and even
numbers of tracks: nothing helped.

Since suid'ing cdda2wav the OpenBSD kernel-messages changed (a
little):

Aug 20 17:23:55 thebetteros /bsd: cd0(pciide0:1:0): timeout
Aug 20 17:23:55 thebetteros /bsd:       type: atapi
Aug 20 17:23:55 thebetteros /bsd:       c_bcount: 1181
Aug 20 17:23:55 thebetteros /bsd:       c_skip: 0
Aug 20 17:23:56 thebetteros /bsd: pciide0:1: bogus intr

I noticed, there is no more downgrading of DMA mode. I did some more
tests, rebooted some more and to me it looks like this:

- cdda2wav only works with suid and drive in PIO-mode.

- With suid the kernel does not downgrade DMA.

So after a reboot I have to do the following: de-suid cdda2wav, call
it as root, get timeout (kernel downgrades DMA-mode of drive). Then
re-suid cdda2wav, now it works with fpage and root and
even-/odd-numbered tracks until the next reboot :-(

It does not bother me very much, since I got several machines and
use the OpenBSD machine for DVD-writing, but I would really be
pissed, if OpenBSD was my only client ;-)

>It may be thye the PIO implementation does odd byte transfers
>correctly....

Sure looks that way. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed at
OpenBSD, I just quit Linux for exactly those reasons (kernel-bugs).

Please let me know, if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards  Frederick