Re: cdrtools-2.01a37 ready

JS> There is absolutely no doubt that SuSE is violating GPL.
JS>
JS> /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
JS>   Also, for each author's protection and ours, we want to make certain
JS> that everyone understands that there is no warranty for this free
JS> software.  If the software is modified by someone else and passed on, we
JS> want its recipients to know that what they have is not the original, so
JS> that any problems introduced by others will not reflect on the original
JS> authors' reputations.
JS> /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
JS>
JS> Is very explicit and unabigouous.

This is the explaining preambula. The corresponding sentence in actual
terms and conditions is like this:

-----
You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating
that you changed the files and the date of any change.
-----

I downloaded cdrecord-2.01a27-21.src.rpm from SuSE 9.1 and had a look at
the patches. And yes, the modified files don't carry prominent notices.
Most modified files don't carry any notices.

There is a big-enough notice at program startup AFAICS:
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
http://www.suse.de/feedback

So it's about as good as Debian. Not exatly as good though: Debian seems
to define SOURCE_MODIFIED so this displays some additional more
prominent notices. Jörg, would it be enough if Suse would define this in
their patches (I'm not speaking for Suse, just offering a possible
suggestion)?

--
Meelis Roos