cdrecord problems with TDK 440n DVD+/-rw *update*

Hi everyone,

Ok, since it's been a while and people were forgetting what the problem
is I decided to start a thread with a short summary of my problem,
what's been tried, and some new info.  Thanks to everyone who's replied
before.

the new info: I swapped out my TDK 440n dvd burner for a sony cd-rw
drive, and cdrecord works fine... so it doesn't seem like a
misconfiguartion that's keeping my whole system from burning, it seems
to be specific to this drive.

the summary of the problem:

Starting new track at sector: 0
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
cmd finished after 400.202s timeout 40s
/usr/bin/cdrecord: A write error occured.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.

dmesg:

hdc: DMA timeout retry
hdc: timeout waiting for DMA
hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hdc: status error: error=0x00
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
Error }
hdc: status error: error=0x04Aborted Command

cdrecord can't burn any cds, though it seems to blank cd-rw's ok.
growisofs works fine for burning dvds.

the drive's been tested in a windows machine, and burned cds fine, so it
doesn't seem like the hardware's faulty.

It was suggested that something was trying to access the drive while
cdrecord was, though it still errored even with all non-essential
programs killed and lsof not showing anything using the drive.  Also,
since the cd-rw drive works as a drop-in replacement for the dvd burner,
it doesn't seem like that's the problem.

If anyone has any ideas, or has a tdk 440n drive and could relate their
experiences, please reply and cc me as i'm not subscribed to this list -
thanks everyone, and if you want any other info please ask. -Dan

gentoo
kernel 2.6.7
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a32 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

-Dan "OverrideX"-
ICQ: 7171522
AIM: OverrideX
Jabber: OverrideX@jabber.org

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or
whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man. -- Chuang-tzu