Backup thousands of files 1 at a time with growisofs?

Dear Folks,

I just bought a DVD writer on Sunday and am ignorant about DVDs;
please excuse me.

Can I back up thousands of small files, one at a time to a DVD, with
growisofs?  Can is do something simple like this, and get a reliable
result?

What are the limitations of this if it is possible?

The kind of thing I wonder is: can I do something like this:

growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -J -R file1
for f in otherfiles...;do
    growisofs -M /dev/dvd -J -R $f
done

where otherfiles... expands to many tens of thousands of files.

Does it make any difference if the media is DVD-R, DVD+R, or
DVD[+-]RW?
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE                               nicku(at)vtc.edu.hk
Proud member of the Dept. of Information & Communications Technology,