Re: growisofs vs. LG GSA4040B: unable to CLOSE SESSION (5h/72h/03h):Input/output error

I wonder if we can get the manufacturer to fix this.  After all, they
do release upgraded firmware once in a while (even if the user needs
MS Windows to update the drive's firmware).

Can you point at a standard and say that this LG drive is violating it?

As you put it yourself it's a "forgivable flaw." But the emphasis is on "forgive," rather than of "flaw." Specification essentially says "functionality *may* be limited in test write mode." To be aware of it and dismissing the error is probably the most sensible thing one can do.

| > I find the undocumented growisofs -use-the-force-luke flag intriguing.

Here is a bit of placeholder documentation.  Would you consider
adopting it?

I'm not confident that the description of -o is accurate.

-o is documented as "you may not use -o." -prev-session, -cdrecord-params and -dvd-video are effectively documented as "<mkisofs-options>." -dry-run, -dvd-compat and -overburn are explicitly documented. -zero-session is just a long alternative to -Z. -poor-man [as well as -# if you wish] is [are] deprecated, while -help and -version are too obvious. -use-the-force-luke is the *only* one worth mentioning... Other users are hereby welcomed to vote if this option should be explicitly documented in one of upcoming updates.

For reference.

+.BI \-use\-the\-force\-luke
+.BI \-use\-the\-force\-luke=tty
Suppress "FATAL: /dev/dvd already carries isofs!" condition.

+.BI \-use\-the\-force\-luke=dummy
Engage "Test Write" mode defined for DVD-R and DVD-RW Sequential.

+.BI \-use\-the\-force\-luke=notray
Don't reload tray on platforms which require reload. Recording may appear corrupt till the tray is reloaded by other means.

+.BI \-use\-the\-force\-luke=moi
Suppress mkisofs progress indicator and replace it with growisofs internal progress indicator. "moi" is French for "me."

+.BI \-use\-the\-force\-luke=dao[[:|=] daosize ]
Engage DAO mode defined for DVD-R and DVD-RW Sequential, optionally specify tracksize. The latter might be required for copying multi-format or bootable media mastered with program other than mkisofs.

+.BI \-use\-the\-force\-luke=tracksize[:|=]tracksize
Alternative way to specify tracksize for DAO recording, see above.

+.BI \-use\-the\-force\-luke=seek[:|=]next_session
Perform recording at seek offset. Effective in DVD+RW and DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite context and is suitable for performing unformatted real-time stream recordings. Try it with -dry-run and examine "builtin_dd command line." A.