Re: growisofs + DVD+R + Plextor708A

V po, 15. 03. 2004 v 15:35, Pim van Pelt píše:

> | It have 1.06 firmware (flashed yesterday, before I used 1.04) and it's
> | alone as a secondary master. I can't check hardware revision because I'm
> | in different part of city now.

> Mine is secondary master, with a DVDROM as slave. This has been the case
> for quite some time now.

Should not matter.

> | > It has set the speed to 4.0x. If I then burn without -speed= setting,
> | > my first DVD turns into a coaster.
> |
> | And if you let the unit do 8.0x, the result is good?

> It burns, but not very fast. It starts burning at 6.1x, for a set amount
> of sectors, and then switches to a higher rotational speed (with even
> more lousy performance):
>
>  743997440/4633516032 (16.1%) @2.8x, remaining 17:20
>  758054912/4633516032 (16.4%) @3.0x, remaining 17:17
>  771522560/4633516032 (16.7%) @2.8x, remaining 17:11
>  785645568/4633516032 (17.0%) @3.0x, remaining 17:03
>  790134784/4633516032 (17.1%) @0.9x, remaining 17:16   <-- speed switch
>  794886144/4633516032 (17.2%) @1.0x, remaining 17:23
>  801112064/4633516032 (17.3%) @1.3x, remaining 17:32
>  807174144/4633516032 (17.4%) @1.3x, remaining 17:37
>  813367296/4633516032 (17.6%) @1.3x, remaining 17:41
>  820445184/4633516032 (17.7%) @1.5x, remaining 17:48
>
> It does complete succesfully though. mediainfo then shows (on the
> completed DVD+R):

Now this is really interesting, I wonder what Andy can comment on this.
I've seen similar behaviour in review of SONY DRU-530 (same chipset) -
at certain point in recording it drops speed and do weird stuff.

> For what it's worth, this is a Celeron @1333MHz, with an ata100 disk
> containing the image and an AtlasV to boot from (on aic7890); the box
> burns true 4x media perfectly on 4x speed. It's the "4x media with 8x in
> mediadescriptor" that it borks on.

Ah. I ever only burned 4x -R. Looks like I have to get some +R for
testing.

> Recently my 4x speed Platinum media turns out to have a mediadescriptor with
> 8x in it.. this is when the problems started, because the drive will then
> start burning at 6x or 8x, messing up throughput. You can see the led blinking
> rapidly in orange and then pausing a bit (green), perhaps because the drive
> cannot keep up the high pace.

Green blicking signals buffer underrun. Are you sure you can feed data
to your unit at 8.0x speed? Even 4.0x is quite a load for my 5.2.1 box
(much faster than yours).

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

May the Valar protect you on your path under the sky.