Re: Problems with Matshita UJ-810

> I'm returning to this issue, because I've run into it harder than ever
> before:
>
> > For public reference. OPC stands for Optimum Power Calibration, a
> > procedure performed by firmware involving a test-burn on an designated
> > area *prior* actual recording. Code 3/73/03 means "POWER CALIBRATION
> > AREA ERROR" indicating that unit failed to perform that test-burn.
> >
> > > sol:/data/BURN-ISO # growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=img.iso
> > > Executing 'builtin_dd if=img.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
> > > :-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=4h/ASC=03h/ASCQ=00h
> >
> > Formally it's inappropriate, but you can try to *skip* OPC altogether.
> > Try to download dvd+rw-tools-5.5.x and run growisofs 5.5 instead...
>
> It seems I get best results with Verbatim-DVDs (no failures since
> then), unfortunatedly every other vendor I've tried (add memorex,
> imation to the list), doesn't succeed the OPC part.
>
> I'm still using 5.11, and looked at the download pages. So 5.5. is an
> older version?

Yes.

> Does it have a switch to turn OPC off or is this simply
> not yet implemented in 5.5.x?

OPC is not yet implemented in 5.5.x. Generally speaking. Publicly
available documentation around OPC is rather fuzzy and it's not 100%
clear if it should be applied or not (which is why I wrote "comments
appreciated" on my -RW page). You get an impression that it actually
should be applied and it apparently worked so far. But if you can
confirm that skipping OPC does help your unit, then it would make solid
argument for making OPC optional in next dvd+rw-tools update.

> I guess it would be good to have a switch for that as seen in Nero
> Express..

Oh! There is a switch... I didn't know that...

> I didn't find a Changelog page at
> http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/,

It's in growisofs.c commentary section in tools subcatalog.

> so don't know whether the
> current 5.17.x has some improvements in this area.

No, no changes to OPC code were made since its introduction in 5.6.

> It seems, I run the latest firmware, and don't suffer from any kernel
> bugs. Probably the drive is not very DVD-R conformant.

Well, if Matshita/Panasonic unit is "not very DVD-R conformant," then
which is:-) I mean among all the units this one gotta be most DVD-R
conformant as Panasonic has very strong feelings for both DVD-R[W] and
DVD-RAM. A.