Re: Problems with Matshita UJ-810

Hi,

I'm returning to this issue, because I've run into it harder than ever
before:

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 06:33:32PM +0100, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> For public reference. OPC stands for Optimum Power Calibration, a
> procedure performed by firmware involving a test-burn on an designated
> area *prior* actual recording. Code 3/73/03 means "POWER CALIBRATION
> AREA ERROR" indicating that unit failed to perform that test-burn.
>
> > sol:/data/BURN-ISO # growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=img.iso
> > Executing 'builtin_dd if=img.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
> > :-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=4h/ASC=03h/ASCQ=00h
>
> keys.txt lists codes which are supposed to be returned by MMC units
> [such as CD and DVD players and burners]. 4/03/00 is a "generic" error
> code listed in "SCSI Primary Commands" document. The code means
> "PERIPHERAL DEVICE WRITE FAULT." Unit again reports failure to burn the
> test area. Note that OPC is just a single command. Basically there is no
> place for application software bug there, as growisofs doesn't send any
> arguments which would confuse the unit, but merely asks firmware to
> perform whatever magic firmware considers necessary to succeed with
> recording of actual data.
>
> > sol:/data/BURN-ISO # growisofs -version
> > * growisofs by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 5.11,
> >   front-ending to mkisofs: mkisofs 2.0 (i686-suse-linux)
>
> Formally it's inappropriate, but you can try to *skip* OPC altogether.
> Try to download dvd+rw-tools-5.5.x and run growisofs 5.5 instead...

It seems I get best results with Verbatim-DVDs (no failures since
then), unfortunatedly every other vendor I've tried (add memorex,
imation to the list), doesn't succeed the OPC part.

I'm still using 5.11, and looked at the download pages. So 5.5. is an
older version? Does it have a switch to turn OPC off or is this simply
not yet implemented in 5.5.x?

I guess it would be good to have a switch for that as seen in Nero
Express..

I didn't find a Changelog page at
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/, so don't know whether the
current 5.17.x has some improvements in this area.

It seems, I run the latest firmware, and don't suffer from any kernel
bugs. Probably the drive is not very DVD-R conformant. It seems it is
primarily a DVD-RAM device and as such works flawlessly.

--
best regards,

     Dipl.-Inf. Richard Jelinek

     - The PetaMem Group - Prague/Nuremberg - www.petamem.com -