Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Cdrtools-2.01a25: Patch to make cdrtools 2.01a25 Linux compatible

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:41:17PM +1300, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Users who need to recompile programs are required to have a minimum of
> programming knowledge. If they don't, they ought to be using an out of
> the box distro (which will have correct headers in the correct place),
> or else put up with their own mess themselves.

I agree.  It should be assumed headers are in the correct place, once
that correct place is properly defined.  As this thread has brought up,
there are Standardization efforts (LSB/FHS) to work that out.

> I have no sympathy with users who do otherwise, there are much more
> important things to do. --> You use a broken system, your problem.
> Distributions exist for those who can't handle doing things manually
> (or don't want to).

If one configures their system in such a strange way that things break,
it should not be the responsibility of developers like Joerg to try and
cater to.

It may be a little tricky on distributions not coming from a commercial
source, like Debian. But again, this shouldn't be Joerg's problem to
deal with. Those distributions or roll-your-own configurations that
don't follow an emerging Standard should learn to live with their
Brokenness.

> Whether headers in XYZ match the running kernel is technically also
> irrelevant. I may have 3 different kernels installed and be running a
> 4th one, while compiling a program for kernel 2. It is my
> responsibility to ensure the compile environment (gcc supports many of
> those) I am using is consistent for kernel 2.

Agreed. And for Some Big Enterprise going through a commercial Linux
distribution vendor, they're probably not going to muck around with
incompatible kernels anyways. If they do so and break things, their
fault again.

-Robert