Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Cdrtools-2.01a25: Patch to make cdrtools 2.01a25 Linux compatible

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:32:37PM +0200, Thanos Kyritsis wrote:
> As a matter of fact, there is also this document:
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/usr.html
>
> Now, which one is the right one ??

Well, that one appears to be a compilation from various sources.
Unfortunately it neglects the linux-specific section in FHS doc about
kernel headers.

The doc to consider is that linked from the official LSB site. Docs on
tldp are not always on-target and unbiased (the former PHP HOWTO) or
up-to-date (such as my own contribution there).

We need to consider what big players might be certifying against, which
at this time appears to be LSB and FHS.

> If FHS is the "right" one, it's obvious it's not complete, but on the
> contrary it's too general and fails to set a suitable standard for
> modern Linux distros.

Well, probably because it's supposed to be very broad at first to try
to rein in the big distro makers. Once enough players have taken care
of the big chunks, work can begin on nailing the nitty-gritty details.
Also, remember FHS is but one part of the whole LSB.  It'll get more
accurate with time, surely.  But it has to start somewhere.

> Well, I think what Joerg wants to say is clear: Some standard needs to
> finally direct everyone as to where the running kernel sources are.
> There are many applications that need the running kernel sources and
> not /usr/include/linux.

Yes, I agree.

--
-----
Robert S. Dubinski * rsd@dubinski-family.org * http://dubinski-family.org

Note to Anonymous: That "virus" I sent you is actually what is called
                   a Digital Signature.  Please look the term up and
                   get educated before making more an ass of yourself.
-----

Random Quote for you:

Two farmers are fighting over a cow. One grabs the cow's tail and pulls
while the other farmer grabs the cow's head and pulls. This last for a
long time. While all this pulling is going on, the two farmers' lawyers
sit in the middle and milk it.