Re: dvd+rw-tools: growisofs exit code

Andy Polyakov wrote:
[..snip..]

2509078528/3691623424 (68.0%) @0.0x, remaining 14:45
2509078528/3691623424 (68.0%) @0.0x, remaining 14:53
:-[ WRITE@LBA=12b1b0h failed with SK=5h/ASC=21h/ACQ=02h]: Invalid argument
builtin_dd: 1225136*2KB out
:-( write failed: Invalid argument

The line which prints the above is follwed by exit(errno), where errno
is EINVAL... H-m-m-m...

Of course, I am also interested in why these failures happen
occasionally on good media.

But the catch is that undestanding "why" it happens is most likely the
key to solution... Why or why recording just hung half-way and most
mysteriously failed with "INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE" after a long
while... Is there a chance that the drive was opened by another program
during failed recording?

No, I am quite sure that did not happen. The only user programs running during the backup were an editor and latex. I can't think of any daemons that would access /dev/dvd. I don't think that updatedb ran and even then I don't think that it would open /dev/dvd. *But*...

I occasionally mount a dvd to check it contents, and then forget to umount it before rewriting it. I cannot be certain that I didn't do that on this occasion. Just maybe then /mnt/dvd was accessed by a daemon. Perhaps that could be an explanation? So maybe growisofs might issue a warning or even refuse to write if the target is mounted?

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [PIONEER ][DVD-RW  DVR-105 ][1.33]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         14h, DVD-RW Sequential

Did you try Restricted Overwrite?

Sorry. I can see that mmc_profile = 0x13 is required from growisofs source, but I could not see a command line switch to force this. I must be missing something. How can I do that without hacking the source? Or do I need to use dvd+rw-format first?

If recording indeed suffers from the
fact that corresponding /dev entry gets opened by another application
(which means READ TOC command is issued during recording), Restricted
Overwrite might be possible workaround for the problem.

If, indeed, I had mounted and forgotten to umount before the burn, I guess that will solve the problem :-) I will add a test into my script, but I think it would be useful if growisofs (and maybe dvd+rw-format) made the same check?

 Media ID:              PRINCO

PRINCO's bad reputation is "deserved" primarily thanks to SONY and NEC
users. I mean PRINCO DVD media apparently works with Pioneer units, but
SONY and NEC users just couldn't get it working. At least not with
initial firmwares, I don't know what's current situation... A.

All the people I know use various Pioneer drives, and I understand that Pioneer did a lot of engineering on the various DVD- media in the early days. So that sounds very plausible.

Thanks for the reply,

Adrian Lawrence