Re: dvd+rw-tools: growisofs exit code

> >>[..snip..]
> >>
> >>2509078528/3691623424 (68.0%) @0.0x, remaining 14:45
> >>2509078528/3691623424 (68.0%) @0.0x, remaining 14:53
> >>:-[ WRITE@LBA=12b1b0h failed with SK=5h/ASC=21h/ACQ=02h]: Invalid argument
> >>builtin_dd: 1225136*2KB out
> >>:-( write failed: Invalid argument

The line which prints the above is follwed by exit(errno), where errno
is EINVAL... H-m-m-m...

> >>The exit status seemed not to signal the error.
> >

> > Basically I wonder how come recording was hanging
> > @0.0x for some time prior failing with depicted code. But if you know
> > why and for any particular reason don't want to share it, I can respect
> > that. In which case just confirm that the only thing you genuinely
> > interested in is exit status from growisofs in similar situation.
>
> My immediate interest is getting reliable backups by retrying
> automatically even with bad media. So I want my script to see the
> failure and not throw away 4.3Gb of data! Hence my overriding interest
> in the exit code as the first priority.
>
> Of course, I am also interested in why these failures happen
> occasionally on good media.

But the catch is that undestanding "why" it happens is most likely the
key to solution... Why or why recording just hung half-way and most
mysteriously failed with "INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE" after a long
while... Is there a chance that the drive was opened by another program
during failed recording?

> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
> INQUIRY:                [PIONEER ][DVD-RW  DVR-105 ][1.33]
> GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
>   Mounted Media:         14h, DVD-RW Sequential

Did you try Restricted Overwrite? If recording indeed suffers from the
fact that corresponding /dev entry gets opened by another application
(which means READ TOC command is issued during recording), Restricted
Overwrite might be possible workaround for the problem.

>   Media ID:              PRINCO

PRINCO's bad reputation is "deserved" primarily thanks to SONY and NEC
users. I mean PRINCO DVD media apparently works with Pioneer units, but
SONY and NEC users just couldn't get it working. At least not with
initial firmwares, I don't know what's current situation... A.