Re: DVD+R reading problem

> > > I'm pretty certain this disk is finalized.
> >       ^^^^^^ This's not good enough:-) Complement your report with
> > dvd+rw-mediainfo output for media in question [preferably] in burner
> > unit.
>
> Well, it says it's complete, but only has one session.

You can't rely upon "Disc status" or "Number of Sessions" values
returned by DVD-ROM unit.

> Does that mean the
> drive can't recognize the extra sessions?

But you can tell if DVD-ROM unit managed to recognize extra session by
examining "FABRICATED TOC."

> Or just that the disk is burned in
> some weird format that only Windows XP can read?

Once again. It's not OS which does most magic, but the unit it [OS]
talks to.

> FABRICATED TOC:
>  Track#1  :             14@0
>  Track#AA :             14@2295104
>  Multi-session Info:    #1@0

Most notably "Multi-session Info" would be different if your unit
supported DVD+R multi-sessioning. You would also see at least one extra
track.

> > > I don't even know if I just need to replace my drive--I
> > > found one vague reference to DVD+R multisession disks only being readable in
> > > DVD+R burners, but that can't be right.
> > Why can't it be right?
>
> Because the Windows XP machine that could read it didn't have a burner.

Well, by the time I wrote "DVD+R burners will be the only ones capable
to access the files added at different occasions" on my page, there were
no DVD-ROM players available capable of multi-session playback. Now you
indeed can ran into one, so I've modified the statement as "your DVD
burner might be the only one capable..."

> > > cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info says "CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.12
> > > 2000/10/18" and tells me that the drive (a Creative 6X) can read multisession,
> > > but I suspect that refers to multisession CD.
> > Take for habit to include the exact output, not how you interpret it. A.
>
> CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.12 2000/10/18
>
> drive name:             sr1     sr0
> Can read multisession:  1       1

Yes, this flag refers to CD multi-sessioning capability and it does not
imply DVD multi-session capability.

Bottom line. DVD-ROM unit in question is simply not capable of DVD+R
multi-session playback. A.