Re: DVD+R reading problem

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> > I'm pretty certain this disk is finalized.
>       ^^^^^^ This's not good enough:-) Complement your report with
> dvd+rw-mediainfo output for media in question [preferably] in burner
> unit.

Well, it says it's complete, but only has one session.  Does that mean the
drive can't recognize the extra sessions?  Or just that the disk is burned in
some weird format that only Windows XP can read?

root:/usr/local/src/dvd+rw-tools-5.14.4.7.4# ./dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/scd0
INQUIRY:                [CREATIVE][DVD-ROM DVD6240E][0101]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         10h, DVD-ROM
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       A1h, DVD+R book [revision 1]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2295104*2KB=4700372992
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           complete
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: complete
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           complete
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            2295104*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             14@0
 Track#AA :             14@2295104
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0

> From kernel of application viewpoint reading multi-session DVD+R is no
> different from reading multi-session CD. Linux kernel is capable of
> multi-session playback(*), but DVD unit has to explicitly support
> multi-session DVD+R playback.

> (*) well, there is a bug in ide-cd module limiting DVD multi-session
> playback, but one can work it around by routing even player unit through
> ide-scsi.

That didn't work for me.

> > I don't even know if I just need to replace my drive--I
> > found one vague reference to DVD+R multisession disks only being readable in
> > DVD+R burners, but that can't be right.
> Why can't it be right?

Because the Windows XP machine that could read it didn't have a burner.

> > cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info says "CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.12
> > 2000/10/18" and tells me that the drive (a Creative 6X) can read multisession,
> > but I suspect that refers to multisession CD.
> Take for habit to include the exact output, not how you interpret it. A.

CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.12 2000/10/18

drive name:             sr1     sr0
drive speed:            48      24
drive # of slots:       1       1
Can close tray:         1       1
Can open tray:          1       1
Can lock tray:          1       1
Can change speed:       1       1
Can select disk:        0       0
Can read multisession:  1       1
Can read MCN:           1       1
Reports media changed:  1       1
Can play audio:         1       1
Can write CD-R:         1       0
Can write CD-RW:        1       0
Can read DVD:           0       1
Can write DVD-R:        0       0
Can write DVD-RAM:      0       0

(The DVD-ROM is 0.  1 is my CD burner.  This is the same results as before,
when I wasn't using ide-scsi for the DVD-ROM)