Re: DVD+/-R writers

> >Going by my own observation and not what someone tells me, it seems random
> >access write to DVD+RW is rather easier than to DVD-RW. I don't have to
> >blank the disk, and it still works at 0.1x speed. Andy's DVD+RW kernel patch
> >isn't meant for DVD-RW - could this be because DVD-RW doesn't allow
> >something?
>
> DVD+ _only_ works in some kind of packet mode. You need to format  a DVD+RW
> before you may use it.

This is exactly what one could call "FUD tactic." So DVD+ recording
strategies are different from DVD- ones, so what? The fact that some
applications, cdrecord-ProDVD among them, required major modifications
to adopt DVD+ recording strategies doesn't speak against format or
products. It's the outcome, recorded media, that counts!

> >+/- compatibility issues are just a question of time, one would assume
> >dvdrom anything which can only read - are no longer being made. cdroms were
> >in a similar position once.
>
> No, if the DVD+ alliance does not like to allow other modes of usage

So there is only one recording strategy for DVD+R and one for DVD+RW, so
what? Both are utterly practical and easy to deploy, which is surely why
they were chosen for implementation. Implementing alternative recording
strategies would just cost more [to end user], because they (additional
strategies) would hardly improve compatibility with DVD-ROM
specification. "Improve" in last sentence refers [at its least!] to
currently implemented DVD+R and DVD+RW recording strategies.

> (even not e.g. a simulation mode for DVD+R)

The lack of Test Write mode for DVD+R is surely a drawback, but it's not
as big as one can imagine. It's surely indispensable for program
development and system debugging (such questions as is IDE wiring right?
is IDE driver in shape?). But given that results of Test Write
recordings are actually inconclusive (success [or failure] of dummy
recording does not *necessarily* mean that actual recording shall
succeed [or fail]), its practical value is very limited for vast
majority of users (because they are not program developers and most
computers just work). Most notably vast majority of failures caused by
poor media support, and that can *not* possibly be catched in Test Write
mode.

> then I see no way where DVD+ could have all
> possibilities you have with DVD-

We discussed recording strategies, Test Write mode... What else is left
of what DVD- has to offer DVD+ doesn't? Ah! DVD- permits you to switch
off buffer underrun protection in Sequential modes. This is legacy CD-R
thinking which has very little [if any] practical value in DVD context.
I mean it's well known that it pays off to burn CD-R without buffer
underrun protection (swithich it off permits for higher x-factors and is
actually a requirement for at least for CD-DA media), but why would you
like to switch it off in DVD? Given that buffer underrun protection does
not affect maximum recording velocity, what options do you have if
buffer underrung condition is risen during DVD recording? a) produce a
coaster if you switch it off, or b) finish recording and have really
hard time finding a player which would actually fail to play media
recorded with buffer underruns?

Bottom line. We have discussed things DVD- has to offer, DVD+ doesn't.
Multiple recording strategies, Test Write mode in Sequential recording,
ability to switch off buffer underrun protection in Sequential mode. All
three has very little [if any] practical value. We have *not* discussed
what DVD+ has to offer DVD- doesn't. A.