RE: Write problems with unbranded DVD[+-]RW drive...

Rob,

> >Fiddled about with hdparm in case my DMA settings were a
> problem, no better.
> >

> I hope that means that you saw that DMA was on. You want DMA,
> and if the
> DMA doesn't come on by itself, it sometimes means it will
> have problems
> (my DVD-104 needed an update to 1.40 firmware before the DMA
> defaulted
> on at boot time).

Well, according to hdparm, DMA is not defaulting to on on this drive. But turing it on with hdparm seems to work (although my testing of this lacks rigour - i.e. run Ogle, watch how jerky it is, check CPU load. Turn DMA on, run Ogle - smoooth motion, lower CPU load...)

However, in my attempts to get the writing to work, I tested with DMA on and off, with broadly similar results. Indeed, (subjectively) writing seems *less* flaky with the DMA *off*. Which seems so wrong to me.

Also, most of the disks I have managed to burn with dvd+rw-tools have been with the DMA *off*. Well, I'm pretty sure it's off - not at that machine just now...

> While I have one + drive, I haven't tried + media in it, I find no
> advantage in price or speed, and a backup is a backup, the DVD-R read
> okay on more DVD-ROM drives I have, so that was the end of my
> interest.

Well, I had the DVD+RW media anyway, and no -RW disks, so it made sense to test it.
Indeed, the Mac managed to read the +RW disks fine, and it has a DVD-drive in it (a Pioneer) so I guess that's all the compatability testing I need for this job!

> >root@immpc3 G # cdrecord-ProDVD dev=0,0,0 -speed=1 -nofix -v
> optISO.iso
> >Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01a12 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright
> (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
  :
<snip>
  :
> >.
> >Writing  time:  103.440s
> >Average write speed   4.0x.
> >/home/ian/src/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a12-i586-pc: fifo had 80
> puts and 17 gets.
> >/home/ian/src/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a12-i586-pc: fifo was 0
> times empty and 1 times full, min
> > fill was 93%.
> >root@immpc3 G # eject /cdrecorder/
> >

> The write speed is interesting,  although what it means on a
> fail is not obvious.

Yup. Asked for 1 - reported 4. But I think on a fail it probably isn't true?
Still, the drive and the media are both spec'd to support 4x writing, so that in itself shouldn't be an issue I guess, anyway.

Cheers,
--
Ian