Re: Write problems with unbranded DVD[+-]RW drive...

> Yup. Asked for 1 - reported 4. But I think on a fail it probably isn't true?
> Still, the drive and the media are both spec'd to support 4x writing, so that in itself shouldn't be an issue I guess, anyway.

My experience with DMA is that having it off can seriously stuff the
kernel's time keeping, with the result that it needs 20min to advance 10min,
causing throughput rates to be displayed off by a factor of 2. This even
happens on recent 2GH P4 hardware.

If you want to find out actual writing speed reliably, you need to find out
how many bytes were transferred and take the time using your wrist watch.

In theory, writing over USB 1.1 (1MB/s, appr 0.8x) is fine if
burnproof/whatever is turned on in the drive, it's just slower. DVD+RW
doesn't even need anything special, it'll just be slower. Likewise if DMA is
off and the system can't supply data at the required speed (indication of
this is 100% CPU load). Kernel-time being stuffed doesn't cause faulty disks
by itself.

Recently I had the case of a box just crawling, couldn't find out why, CPU
load displayed as close to 0. Kernel-time was fine, DMA on, but burning
DVD+RW still only proceeded at 0.6x. No doubt it would have worked, but a
reboot was faster.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.