Re: DVD recording adventures continued

> > Going to DVD-R media, I am totally unable to burn any of them.
> Do try more media brands...

With the NEC and unsupported media, an error message indicating
that fact (no support for medium in drive) showed up - as you
can see, this time no such error is shown. And at least one
of the media I tried even is listed explicitly at the Plextor
compatible media compilation. Or in other words - I do not think
the problem is that the drive does not like the disc.
Does the following not tell you anything?
 :-[ LBA=0h, SENSE KEY=5h/ASC=21h/ASCQ=02h ]

Additionally tried Princo now - here, the drive gets locked up
showing status with
  scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid .. scsi0, channel 0
        id 0, lun 0 Start/Stop Unit 00 00 00 03 00
  hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Princo also is listed as compatible..

Will try some quality brand in the future.

> "ruined media"? What kind of media? Must be DVD+R, but I
> don't want to assume *anything*. "just at the beginning"? "just" is way
> too subjective...

Just at the beginning means that I hit Ctrl-C as soon as I saw
the "current write speed = 4x" line (maybe 2s after that - silly
action, no doubt).
It then took quite some time until I got back the prompt, and
the disc had already been written to in some way:

dvd+rw-mediainfo:
INQUIRY:                [PLEXTOR ][DVDR   PX-708A  ][1.02]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#11h]:
 Current Write Speed:   8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        8.0x1385=11080KB/s
 Write Speed #1:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Write Speed #2:        2.4x1385=3324KB/s
- [unable to READ DVD STRUCTURE#0 (52400)]
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           appendable
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: incomplete
 "Next" Track:          1
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           partial
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            1*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             17@0
 Track#AA :             17@4294770689
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0

By the way, I do not get any medium atip info for DVD+R
(unlike for DVD-R, where something like NANYA is shown).
mediainfo-output looks identical for blank disc in all
lines above "READ DISC INFORMATION".
Am not quite sure if this was the same with the NEC.

All in all, Plextor does not seem to be any better when it
comes to Linux. They link to Joerg Schillings pxupdate, but
this does not recognize the drive. And the firmware is
packed into an exe. Shame on you, Mr. Bu.. aeh, Plextor,
shame on you..

FL