Re: growisofs(v5.12): Curren write speed <-> write Speed#0

> > Problem description:
> >  yesterday i burnt several DVD-R (without rebooting) using k3b
> >  on the 2nd media i got Power Calibration error & i had to switch to
> lower
> > speed(1x)
> >  in order to use the media(k3b allows only speed= auto or 1x)
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That was
> basically my suggestion to k3b developers...
>
> >   MediaID:               RITEKG04
> >   Current Write Speed:   1.0x1385=1385KB/s
> >   Write Speed #0:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s
>
> Units are expected and were observed to re-adjust the current write
> descriptor upon insertion of new media to maximum supported one, which
> has formed the ground for the suggestion to k3b developers (auto and
> 1x)...
>
> > Questions:
> > 1.)
> >     does growisofs try to set Max write speed on every run,
>
> If you don't specify -speed option, growisofs does not even attempt to
> change it, so that the answer is no.
>
> >     or if once the -speed is specified, growisofs continues to use
> >     this speed
>
> Not growisofs, but unit. As already mentioned unit is expected to
> re-adjust both current velocity and the list of supported velocities
> upon insertion of new media. At least Pioneer units do. Also note that
> if Nx is the *only* reported write speed descriptor (as in "Write
> Speed#0"), then any argument passed to -speed will set the velocity to
> Nx. That's because growisofs chooses *only* among those descriptor
> reported by the unit, it never makes up own velocities. So that -speed=1
> with the media you're referring to in your letter would actually result
> in 4x setting... Sounds odd... Normally unit would offer 4x, 2x and 1x
> settings if you insert 4x media, 2x and 1x with 2x media and finally
> only 1x with 1x media. Do you have an opportunity to try other brands in
> your unit? As it is now I'd say that you simply suffer from some
> particular media brand/batch being poorly supported by your firmware.

so generally it's a firmware <-> media brand problem
and may be not that good firmware becuase it doesn't reload the
supported speeds after a OPC failer.

before a failer (& i think after i pass -speed=4) dvd+rw-mediainfo
does displays 1x,2x,4x for DVD-R, after a failer it displays only
current 1x & write #0 4x
(
i never tried passing speed=1 or speed=2 after a failer
 and DVD recorded with speed=1 because of the failer
to see whether growisofs changes to write speed #0
)

I'll try to find different(better) media to check it,
but i doubt it will cause OPC failer.
if it's firmware problem it shouldn't change to bigger speed
even if the media is different kind right ?

but if i do not find different media,
i should use the speed setting to avoid OPC problems
or to fix OPC problems, correct ?

(
1.) i never had OPC failers if speed is specified
2.) it's pretty hard to find 4x media where i live :(
)

> > 2.) (sorry to ask it :( )
> >     what is the growisofs error code & message in such cases
>
> See the source, it's ":-[ PERFORM OPC failed with
> SK=xh/ASC=yyh/ASCQ=zzh" and exit code of 128|errno, where errno varies
> with yy code.

thanks ,
will have to wait for another failer.

best,

svetljo

Getestet von Stiftung Warentest: GMX FreeMail (GUT), GMX ProMail (GUT)
(Heft 9/03 - 23 e-mail-Tarife: 6 gut, 12 befriedigend, 5 ausreichend)

Jetzt selbst kostenlos testen: http://www.gmx.net