Re: dvd multi-session

> i am now able to write in multiple sessions. i had to do a blank=all
> using cdrecord-prodvd to do it.

You can as well use dvd+rw-format -blank=full to apply full blanking
procedure to DVD-RW media. I personally actually recommend to format for
Restricted Overwrite instead. It's simply more practical:

- no full blanking is required if you want to reuse media;
- ISO9660 volume is grown within single session, no multi-border support
is required for playback in legacy DVD-ROM units;
- no media capacity is spilled on border-out/-ins;

> but it looks like both sessions need to be an isofs.

Why do you think it's called grow*iso*fs:-)

> now i am trying to write multiple tar archives to the dvd media as multi
> session and it is failing.

Even if you manage to put one tar per session, how would you access the
second tar? If you want to "tar-format" DVD media, multi-sessioning is
not an option, isofs is the *only* working option for multi-sessioning.

> my first command:
> # tar cvf - /tmp | growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=/dev/fd/0
> works great, exactly what i hoped for. i am able to get the data back
> from the media using:
> # readcd dev=0,0,0 f=tarpipe | tar -tvf tarpipe

What's wrong with 'tar tvf /dev/scd0'?

> my second command and its output:
> # tar cvf - /opt | growisofs -M /dev/scd0=/dev/fd/0
> :-( /dev/scd0 doesn't look like isofs...
>
> does this imply that there has to be an isofs on the disc to append to
> it?

Yes. Once again, isofs is the *only* working option for multi-sessiong.
Well, it's not 100% true, but it's the only *practical* option and the
only one I'm ready to discuss:-)

> growisofs did not seem to care that the first image i wrote was not
> isofs

No, it didn't and it's intentional. A.