Re: DVD+RW kernel patch - scsi error (help!)

> I am having a problem with burning DVD+RW's with my new DVD recorder.

Always state which unit do you have and even what media do you use. And
do keep in mind that unfortunately not all units/firmwares are capable
to provide for truely random write access required for live filesystem.
Meaning that even less than no guarantees can be provided when it comes
to patching kernel and the best we can do at most occasions is to share
sometimes positive and sometimes negative experiences:-) But it doesn't
mean that we should give up on it, because when/if we collect enough
experience, we might understand what it takes to make it work with wider
range of units and implement better all-round support so to say. So do
state which unit do you have. When you mention that you actually
succeeded with some backup procedure, explicitly mention if it was
actually to live UDF system and how large data-set was and preferably
how long did it take [approximately].

> I am getting the follow error when I attempt to 'mkudffs --spartable=2
> --media-type=cdrw'

Some background information. UDF logical formatting procedure, in other
words mkudffs, writes some information [copy of volume descriptors,
right?] at the outer edge of the media. Outer edge is most exposed to
defects during manufacturing and even every-day usage (have you every
seen own finger prints there, though it normally takes a whole lot more
than a finger print:-).

> Sep  1 17:33:32 www kernel: Current sd0b:00: sense key Medium Error
> Sep  1 17:33:32 www kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 9180160

"Medium Error" is not sufficient explanation? In case you wonder how
come it reports sector#9180160, while maximum number of sectors
[according to dvd+rw-mediainfo] is more like 2295104. Linux kernel
re-biases logical block address to 512 bytes sector size and therefore
you should divide the number by 4 before you compare it with value
reported by dvd+rw-mediainfo.

> Strange thing:  I successfully made three backups without error when I
> first installed this drive.

To the same media? Well, even if you did it still doesn't exclude
possibility of media defect... Just try another media? See if 'growisofs
-Z /dev/dvd=/dev/zero' fails at the end too (yes, the latter implies
zapping data). A.