Re: growisofs with -b problem

> 2.It seems there is a bug in mkisfos with "-b" option. Let's say I want to
> backup
>         /home/me/x/y/z
> but my boot image is located in
>         /home/me/x/y/a
> So when I try to specify ../a/boot.img - mkisofs fails to find it,

It's not a bug. You *have to* have boot.img *within* the tree you pass
down to mkisofs, not outside.

> 3. What I was trying to do was to create a DVD bootable disk with a tar
> archive of the whole system.

Keep in mind limitations discussed in
http://www.mail-archive.com/cdwrite%40other.debian.org/msg04256.html.

> I will have to place a bootable disk image and the tar archive on a separate
> individual disks.

Yes, burn bootable CD and tar-formatted DVD, so that you can boot from
CD, eject it, put in DVD and restore with 'tar xvf /dev/scd0'. A.