Re: growisofs with -b problem

> 2.It seems there is a bug in mkisfos with "-b" option. Let's say I want to

> is a relative path. Could it be that stuff starting with ../ or ./ does not
> work?

Quite possibly. I make bootable CDs without problem, but I don't have .
or .. in the -b path.

> 3. What I was trying to do was to create a DVD bootable disk with a tar
> archive
> of the whole system.

mkisofs creates iso disk images from files which already exist, it can't
do that from files which do not yet exist, like your tar archive file.

If you absolutely don't have the space to store a mastered disk image,
you could

* Get the options right and pipe an iso9660 bootable disk image into
growisofs. This must(!) be using rock ridge, and you will not be able
to restore hardlinks from the iso9660 file system because of
limitations in its Linux implementation. No data will be lost, but all
hardlinked files will separate.

* Get the dvd+rw kernel patch, mkudffs /dev/sr0, and copy all files to
dvd. Warning this a) is very slow to create, b) can be, depending on
the order in which you read files, very slow to read more than just
single files. The cp-sort from the scriptutils package on my web site
copies directory trees faithfully in alphabetical order. You will need
GNU(!) cpio, chown, chgrp etc for it (their non-GNU equivalents, at
least on solaris, are pathologically braindamaged and therefore
useless). Because of bugs in the Linux udf fs, you will afterwards need
to run rsync to copy all your symlinks again (about 10-20% of them will
be damaged by the udf fs), but I have not yet found any other damage.
This method has the advantage that you can make small changes at any
time.

However, with the low cost of 4.5GB worth of disk space, you could
potentially save yourself a lot of trouble, especially in case 2 above.
And you can finaly get your tar file archived :)

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.