Re: Filenames.. (on ISO9660)

At 1:53 PM -0400 8/20/03, Mike Fox Morrey wrote:
Can someone point me (or, if they're generous, give me a quick explanation here..) to, specifically, filenames in ISO9660? I noticed that if I do an "--iso-level 3" in my command line (possibly others, but haven't checked.), my filenames get changed to all lowercase. (i.e. From "0156901NOBS.vox" to "0156901nobs.vox"). My full mkisofs command line is as follows:
mkisofs -V noble2#0224 -v -o /image/archive.iso -iso-level 3 -path-list /image/files/files.lst /image/files

Is this a standard for ISO9660, or just a strange combination of command-line options I'm using, or a bug? (I doubt it's a bug. Someone else woulda found it..) I'm using the 2.0 release of mkisofs/cdrecord..

ISO9660 section 10.3 does _not_ require that filenames at Interchange
Level 3 be lowercase.  It says that the restrictions regarding filename
length (8.3) at Interchange Level 1 do not apply, but that is all it
says about filenames.

ISO9660 restrictions on characters in filenames are in section 7.4 where
filenames are restricted to (0-9),(A-Z),(-) in directories within the
hierarchy that starts at the Primary Volume Descriptor.  But this is
quite independent of Interchange Levels, and if you have a program that
creates lowercase filenames in the hierarchy that starts at the Primary
Volume Descriptor it is _not_ conformant with ISO9660.

What characters are allowed in filenames in hierarchies that start at
a Secondary Volume Descriptor is much too complicated for a mailing
list post, and really require that your read the specification.  Suffice
it to say that they also are unaffected by the Interchange Level.