Re: Problems burning DVD+R on Sony DRU-120A

The screen output you present is somewhat inconsistent with what you
say you have done. I would like to see your command invocations, and
*which* command produced which output. It is unclear to me whether you
create the image separately (though I don't think this is the problem).

With the setup you use, can you read a full DVD? At what speed? I'd try
and find out whether you have a communication error with the drive, or
whether the burn process itself misbehaves.

Personally I have found that I can't burn without DMA, because it causes
the kernel clock to lose time (factor 1.3 - 2.0, interestingly, the 2
was on a 2GHz whizbang box, the 1.3 on a Duron 600).

> :-[ LBA=40000000h, SENSE KEY=2h/ASC=04h/ASCQ=07h ]
> :-( write failed: No medium found
>   Removing image /tmp/image.301 ...

This looks like you created the image on the fly via growisofs.

Some other basic questions:

You are sure your burner can burn DVD+?
You have tried with DVD+RW (easily erasable after mistakes)?
If you use a DVD+R, are you sure it's actually blank?
You used growisofs -Z, did you mean to use -M?
The "no medium found" indicates that the burner is not happy with the
inserted media. It is a safe assumption that every burner will not
handle every media (unlike CDs, where everything works). Try a different
brand. Personally I'd invest in some DVD+RW while playing around.

If you get it to work for DVD+RW but not DVD+R, I'd say it's a case of
your burner doesn't want to know about that particular DVD+R media. Try
a different brand.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.