Re: handling of minor driver ABI bumps

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 12:13:22PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 05:26 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> >
> > +SERVERABI = $(shell cat /usr/share/xserver-xorg/serverabiver || true)
> > +SERVER_DEPENDS = xserver-xorg-core (>= $(SERVERABI))
>
> What's the || true for? Looks like SERVER_DEPENDS relies on the file
> being there anyway.

Right, I think that this should fail to build if the file isn't present.

> > This means that drivers need to set the PACKAGE variable in
> > debian/rules
> > before including xsfbs.mk,
>
> Maybe the package name could be derived from the build directory name if
> this isn't set explicitly? Not a big deal I guess.

We could also make the assumption that the first package listed in
debian/control is the package name. I think debhelper makes that assumption
in a few places also, so it wouldn't really be novel. Adding an explicit
variable is totally fine by me too, and would probably be more transparent
if slightly more tedious.

> > add a dependency from their "binary-arch"
> > target on "serverabi", and replace the hardcoded xserver-xorg-core
> > dependency in their control files with ${xserver:Depends}.  What do
> > you
> > think?
>
> Looks good to me otherwise.

Same here.