Re: Request for write access to webwml repository

Hi,

Carsten Schoenert <c.schoenert@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hello Fabian,
>
> Am 24.12.20 um 13:25 schrieb Fabian Baumanis:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm translating the Debian website into German and I would like to
> > request write access to the webwml repository.
> >
> > The current workflow is a bit of a pain because I'm working on the
> > outdated translations, which means that I'm just editing 2-3 lines in
> > the page source code. Then I have to send the MR to another member who
> > has write access, to have the MR merged.
>
> why is that a pain? It's more the usual way in my eyes.
> It's not that write access can not be given, but there is a lot of trust
> needed to give contributors full write access.
>
> So why not start as every contribution is typically starting? In the old
> days a patch set was needed to send to a list, this isn't needed as
> creating MRs on Salsa is really easy and cheap.
> If you can contribute at a high level we can grant write access to the
> webwml repo later.
>
> Even previous Debian project leaders doing MR for updating the Debian
> website.
>
> > We currently have 80-90 pages with outdated translations so this would
> > create a big overhead and I don't want to disturb the other members in
> > their work. If therer would be any bigger changes in a MR, I would
> > request a review on our mailing list of course.
>
> I see no problem if you start your work within your own namespace and
> create various MRs. The typical review can be done at any time.

I want to second Fabian's request for write access.
Moreover, I have suggested him to write that mail to debian-www.

He has already contributed some translation work for German website, and it
would be a great benefit for German, if he would update all those outdated
files.

Regarding merge requests:
for me the technique via MR might be sensible for some work, but I also see
some contra points, as Fabian said.
I think I can say, that I'm familiar with working with git commandline tools.
But nevertheless I often have problems understanding how things work via the
graphical Salsa interface.
I might be easy, if you know how it works, or if you have someone explaining
it to you site-by-site. But if you are forced to learn it completely by
yourself via reading the docs and try-and-error, it's often a pain IMHO.

Also, you can find countless merge requests rotting on Salsa, with noone
taking action for them. That does not give a nice impression to new contributors
or interested people IMO.

This is just my opinion, not necessarily Fabian's.

At the end, I agree with Fabian, that direct write access would ease his
work (and the work of the whole team in summary) a lot.
I'm sure, Fabian will accept the poliy to only commit changes to the
../German subdirectory, but no other subdirs.
(In fact, that is exactly what he intends to do!)
If it helps, I volunteer for reviewing his commits, to make sure they are ok.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076