Re: Add an extra item to the CD faq: write image to USB

Hi there!

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:33:37 +0200, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 12/09/11 06:22 AM, Luca Capello wrote:
>> NB, this will be my last "contribute" to the subject.
>
> Why? Because of my dissenting reply? I kept it friendly and did not
> flame, and I trust others to do the same. I don't think you should bow
> out of discussion at the first sign of disagreement.

Disagreement is not the reason at all, nor it was your reply, which
indeed it was friendly.

I have two reasons to not continue on this matter.  First, this is and
endless discussion.  Second, because of that I do not think I want to
spend time on it, given that my time for Debian activities is already
not enough.

>> I do not think that adding Linux/Unix is a complication by itself.  dd
>> is included in coreutils, which is available in other Unixes as well.
>
> I do. When we say "the most common", it means exactly that. There are
> other Unices, but when was the last time you dd'd an install image from
> one of those? From HP/UX? From AIX? So "Linux", or more correctly,
> "GNU/Linux" is appropriate in the context of this statement.

You have a point, but then I do not see why we need to restrict our
instructions to a single Unix and not refer them to other/all Unix-like
OSs, when the same tool is available there (and we even distribute some
of them).

Please note that you did not include in your list the two most used
Unix-like OSs, i.e. Mac OS X and iOS:

  <https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/OS_market_share>

The facts that Mac OS X is a Unix-like OS and that dd is included by
default there as well means that you could use it instead of any other
GUI tool (disclaimer: I have not tested it).  I know, however, that
someone used to the CLI on Mac could figure out this without any
problem.

>> [1] again, please no flame, but technically speaking there is *no*
>>     broadest sense for the term "Linux" and given that we share more
>>     with GNU than with any other F/LOSS project I see a point in being
>>     called GNU/Linux
>>
>>       <http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/09/msg00004.html>
>
> I really do not think you need to walk on eggshells around this topic.
> We are all adults here, aren't we, and can discuss politically charged
> topics without fear of it devolving into an ugly flamewar?

Do not get me wrong, but I have had too many experiences with adults
(not only about computer-related stuff) to know that it is always better
to specify something instead of implying it.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca