Re: Add an extra item to the CD faq: write image to USB

Hi there!

Please do not Cc: me, I read the list.

NB, this will be my last "contribute" to the subject.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:01:40 +0200, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 12/09/11 05:52 AM, Luca Capello wrote:
>> No flame, please, this is a fair question.
>>
>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 23:15:51 +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
>>> +<p>The most common way to copy an image to a USB flash drive is to
>> ^^^^^ Are these informations the same for other Unixes, i.e. Debian
>> GNU/kFreeBSD?  Then the above should be corrected to reflect that.
>
> The most common way *is* to use a Linux machine. It's a bald statement
> of fact. There is no need to complicate this statement for the sake of
> inclusiveness.

I do not think that adding Linux/Unix is a complication by itself.  dd
is included in coreutils, which is available in other Unixes as well.

>> Please note that in any case I would correct that, we still call it
>> Debian GNU/Linux and not simply Linux:
>
> I know when we refer to Debian itself, we say "Debian GNU/Linux" or
> simply "Debian". But I don't know what our editorial policy is when we
> refer to Linux in the broadest sense. Do we really need to be this
> pedantic here?

While my POV differs from yours [1], being consistent has nothing to do
with being pedantic, please see the other links Raf reported for CD
burning:

  <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20110911090651.GA21763%40linuxstuff.pl>
  <http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-unix>

I fully agree that we need a policy, but once this will exist, we should
stick with that.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[1] again, please no flame, but technically speaking there is *no*
    broadest sense for the term "Linux" and given that we share more
    with GNU than with any other F/LOSS project I see a point in being
    called GNU/Linux

      <http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/09/msg00004.html>